torsdag 1. mars 2012

Marie Angel, English illustrator and water color artist


I was looking for some information of my favorite flower illustrator when I almost stumbled upon this note:


More research made me curious:

Marie Angel (1923-2010)
Status: Fellow Elected to Fellowship: unknown
Watercolour artist, painting on vellum, miniatures. Studied at Croydon School of Arts and Crafts and later at the Royal College of Art. She is a miniaturist and scribe with an international reputation.Her work appears in Calligraphy Today ed. Heather Child, Calligraphy '84 and The Art of the Scribe, (the two latter being SSI exhibition catalogues) and Modern Scribes and Lettering Artists II.(details from S. Gunn)

Source: http://www.calligraphyonline.org/Records/alphaList.php?a=A

This was strange to me, because
I wrote a letter to Marie Angel in  April 1991 and had it some days later in return with a mark sign Gone away.
I thought she was dead a long time ago!
She has all days since been a great inspiration to me. My 'leap years post' of yesterday is due to her.





In the letter I ask her about the Flower Green Narcissus which I painted on a gift card given to an artist on her Vernissage twenty one years ago. She was angry at me, and she was sulky, because I illustrated the symbol of narcissism. I had just illustrated the card with the flower of that very day. I had no bad thoughts at all!


Narcissus or Narkissos (Νάρκισσος), possibly derived from ναρκη (narke) meaning "sleep, numbness," in Greek mythology was a hunter from the territory of Thespiae in Boeotia who was renowned for his beauty. He was exceptionally proud, in that he disdained those who loved him. Nemesis  saw this and attracted Narcissus to a pool where he saw his own reflection in the waters and fell in love with it, not realizing it was merely an image. Unable to leave the beauty of his reflection, Narcissus died. The Narcissus plant first sprang from where he died.
Narcissism is a term with a wide range of meanings, depending on whether it is used to describe a central concept of psychoanalytic theory, a mental illness, a social or cultural problem, or simply a personality trait. Except in the sense of primary narcissism or healthy self-love, "narcissism" usually is used to describe some kind of problem in a person or group's relationships with self and others. In everyday speech, "narcissism" often means egoism, vanity, conceit, or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others. In psychology, the term is used to describe both normal self-love and unhealthy self-absorption due to a disturbance in the sense of self.
Source: Wikipedia


Open my previous post about her book A Floral Calendar: http://viltogvakkert.blogspot.com/2011/09/floral-calendar.html

Her full name was Marie Felicity Angel
Angel's tears

Oh, why didn't I have this information in 1991!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Hyggelig at du tar deg tid til å legge igjen en hilsen.
Det setter jeg veldig pris på!
Alle kommentarer vil godkjennes før publisering.